Sunday, November 8, 2009

The first week of comparing Kessel to Cammelleri

As I said I would do way back in late September, I'll be comparing Phil Kessel to Michael Cammalleri all year. I've spent the last month learning how to spell "Cammalleri" and it's time to begin. I'll be doing one of these once every week or two weeks, depending on how creative i feel, and at the end of each month I'll see who "won" the month.


I'd love to point out that Cammalleri has 14 points to Kessel's 3, someone would likely point out that comparing one player to another when one spent a month doing nothing is only legitimate when the player doing nothing is actually on the ice, and as this comparison has nothing to do with Jason Blake, we can only look back to Nov 2 for the comparison.

Kessel has three points since then including a game winner; though do game winners really count when your team wins by four goals? Meanwhile Cammalleri has been trying an experiment called "secondary scoring" where his line puts up very few points hoping that Thomas Plekanec is ready for a lot of work. Meanwhile there's the sensation that Cammalleri is actually focused on working with his teammates as he's assisted on goals and clearly can score himself as his shootout winner proved. That said, it might be because Cammalleri actually has NHL quality linemates as opposed to an AHL centre and a creepy albino guy who's patented skills include "going fast", "wrist shot from the blue line", and "ruining my team's cap situation for the foreseeable future"

I won't be declaring a 'winner' this week, it's more that it's good to see the party has begun for this comparison. Besides both players are at basically a point per game pace anyway so they're theoretically neck and neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment