Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm a bad Habs fan.

Guys, I have a confession. I'm a bad Habs fan.

There are a lot of things that make me a bad habs fan, here's a list of the reasons:

I don't think it's appropriate to boo the team I love if they're evidently trying, or to boo a specific player on the team I love if he's had a rough night yet is still trying.

I believe singing songs referring to, or referencing the term "goodbye" should be reserved for when we actually win a playoff series or knock a team out of playoff contention.

I don't think my team's rich and illustrious history needs to have a 30 minute ceremony before every regular season game.

I desire success but I only expect effort

I think the captain of my team should be the leader of the players, not the player who's most fluent in the language of the reporters.

If my team has a rough night and defensively collapses, my mind doesn't immediately jump to "goaltender controversy"

My love of things catching fire and my love of hockey are only connected on playoff series with actual trophies on the line.

When a player is underperforming I don't associate that with media pressure, or ostracize him for his origin, be it French Canadian or Belorussian.

I think, through his time with the team, Bob Gainey has been a good general manager, and calling for his removal every time he makes a move that isn't for Vincent Lecavalier is inappropriate.

Finally, I think 1993 was a long time ago, and I want to get back to that, but I don't think every time we're near the playoffs it's fair to our goaltending staff to start mentioning Patrick Roy.


This makes me a bad Habs fan. Who's with me?

3 comments:

  1. "My love of things catching fire and my love of hockey are only connected on playoff series with actual trophies on the line."

    Well said.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! i'd say you're a pretty cool fan. i agree with most of it, but i looooove the big, dramatic intro at the beginning of games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably enjoy those intros more if I was able to get to the Bell Centre more often. Being Toronto-based makes getting to Habs games a rather tough challenge. I did make it out to our game against Toronto last season where Markov and Schneider got hurt. Despite the injuries it was nice to see them face to face.

    ReplyDelete